Wake up with perfect vision without laser eye surgery!
Wear customised contact lenses while you sleep and enjoy perfect natural vision all day without the need for prescription spectacles, contact lenses or laser eye surgery.
What is myopia?
Myopia (also known as being short-sighted) is when vision at a distance becomes difficult and a spectacle prescription is required. This is usually because the eye ball has grown too long which causes the light to be focused incorrectly within the eye rather than on the retina.
All myopic prescriptions can cause changes to the physical structures within the eye and subsequently increase the risk of future eye disease, this is worse with higher prescriptions. Therefore, it is now seen as important to prevent the progression of myopia and aim to keep the prescription as low as possible from a young age.
What is Orthokeratology?
Orthokeratology (also known as Ortho-K) is a treatment using specially designed contact lenses which are worn throughout the night only. These lenses gently reshape the front curvature of the eye during sleep. This alters how the light is focused on the retina meaning that you can see during the day without spectacles or contact lenses.
Research into Ortho-K has shown that the treatment also slows down the progression of myopia. This makes it perfect for children who are myopic or have recently shown an increase in their prescription. There is also a genetic relationship with myopia progression and therefore Ortho-K can be recommended if there is a family history of myopia.
Who is it suitable for?
- Myopic prescriptions - Ortho-K can correct spherical prescriptions up to -5.00D and astigmatism up to -2.50D
- People who want to be free of spectacles or contact lenses throughout the day
- All ages - There are no age limitations. Many children are fitted with the lenses to stop the progression of myopia
- People who are interested in laser corrective surgery - Ortho-K is considered an alternative to laser without the risks of surgery while also allowing the flexibility of future prescription changes and reversibility
- Active people - People who are involved in sports/swimming and want freedom from contact lenses or glasses
- Dry Eye - Ortho-k is suitable for people who have previously had discomfort with normal contact lenses or have not been suitable due to dry eyes.
What is involved?
If you are interested in Ortho-K, you will need to book an initial consultation which assesses your suitability for the treatment. This is then followed by a fitting appointment and a short sequence of aftercare appointments.
A refraction and anterior eye assessment to assess suitability for Ortho-K which includes:
- Corneal topographic imaging
- Laser scan measure of the aberrations of the eye
Consists of a fitting appointment with a teach of lens insertion & removal followed by three after-care appointments usually over a month period
N.B. All costs include lenses and solutions
If you wish to continue with the Ortho-K treatment package following on from the Ortho-K Fitting period, you will need to join the Ortho-K treatment plan (Eyelife) at £45 per month or pay a discounted annual fee of £513 (5% discount). These fees include solutions, replacement of lenses and professional care fees. Please note that the lenses themselves form part of the treatment and are not being purchased as such.
Contact lenses for children
Overnight contact lenses